Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our Garden



Renee wanted food storage for her Christmas present so one of the projects we undertook was a garden. We spent about two days weeding then we spent another day preparing the soil. I believe there is nothing more magical than a beautiful garden. While preparing our garden we had a mocking bird sing to us the entire time. After we had planted our seeds and would go out to water we had two Blue Jays keeping a very close eye on us (Renee was scared of them because the would attack her). Then we had a mother Cat keep here Kittens close buy. The other day I was watering and a humming bird flew right next to me and hovered for about a minute (Renee thinks its funny that I said hi to it but then again I make friends with all the bugs & animals). Maddison loves to explore the garden and gets into about everything we don't want her to get into (she decided to test the soil by eating some of it, talk about having a green thumb!!!). We love our Garden and wanted to share this magical place with you.
So here is what we are growing. Aahem.... Celantro, Strawberries, Green beans, Roma Tomatos, Grape Tomatos, Green Bell Peppers, Squash, Romane Lettuce, carrots, yellow onions, Callards, Broccoli, Asperagus, Brussels Sprouts, green onions, Basil, Chives, Thyme, Mint.

I love the smell celantro gives when you water it in the morning.

We aren't sure what we will do when we start getting all the strawberries. Can you believe Renee didn't like strawberries when we first started dating!!!

Romane lettuce is the best. It is crispy, watery, easy to pull apart, and did I say cute?



Renee likes to put callards in her smoothies. I think they taste a little like parsley.

4 comments:

  1. The garden is coming along great! I also love cilantro. It smells so good when you mince it. Don't forget to share the wealth with your favorite m-in-l.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome looking garden, way to be! That's really cool you have lots of animal energies looking out for it. Oh and I agree cilantro has such a delicious smell! I can't visit our garden without eating a leaf or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were going to have to come down in August just so we can eat some.

    Today I was out with our garden and I decided to put some nuts out for the birds that are everywhere just like grandpa used to do. I started thinking how Grandpa always developed relationships with the little ones around his garden just like your doing.

    I talk to animals all the time and I believe that they communicate to us -- your hummingbird was an angel!

    I love Mother Earth and the wonderful harvest she supplies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardens are WONDERFUL and magical! And what a great thing for Maddison to help you guys with! And yes, I talk to animals and plants and bugs. Why not?

    ReplyDelete